Job Title: Medical Secretary
Reports to: Practice Manager
Hours: 20 hrs per week
To provide general secretarial support to the doctors and health professionals, involving word processing and audio typing skills with general clerical work.
To ensure administrative and clerical duties with in the practice are carried out within the practice’s guidelines and policies.
- To provide an efficient audio, copy typing and word processing service for GPs and health professionals as required. This includes the typing of letters, reports, patient referrals, minutes, memorandums, etc. in an accurate and quality manner.
- To establish and maintain filing and administrative systems so that written or computer information is easily accessible and secure.
- To retrieve medical records and assist the completion of medical/insurance records.
- File patient records and correspondence in patient medical records.
- To receive incoming and initiate outgoing telephone calls in order to facilitate timely and appropriate communications with others, taking messages and dealing with appropriate queries.
- To maintain the computer clinic system in an accurate and secure manner.
- To assist with the gathering of statistics and information when required.
- To provide cover for members of the secretarial team during periods of sickness and annual leave.
- In liaison with the clerk responsible, maintain adequate supplies of office stationery in order to perform secretarial duties.
- To receive and dispatch mail and maintain a pending system.
- Administrative support
- Provide administrative support to members of the primary health care team in the following areas ensuring appropriate practice records are kept up to date
- Summarising hospital records
- DNAR forms
- Discharge Summaries
- Insurance Reports
- New referral forms
- Management of medical records
- Ensure that records are accurately assembled in advance of each consulting session
- Ensure that records are available in the instances of urgent consultation
- Retrieve and re-file records as requested, ensuring that strict alphabetical order is adhered to
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc. are filed in correct records
- Ensure records are kept neat and tidy and in good repair with all necessary information recorded correctly on the outer cover
- To ensure administrative and clerical duties with in the practice are carried out within the practice’s guidelines and policies.